The Fastly Network Effect Threat Report for Q2 2023 is a comprehensive overview of the latest cyberattack trends and techniques. It is based on data from Fastly’s Next-Generation Web Application Firewall (NGWAF), which protects millions of websites and applications from attack.
One of the key findings of the report is that the high tech industry is the most targeted industry by cyber attackers. This is likely due to the fact that the high tech industry is a major driver of innovation, and it is often one of the first industries to adopt new technologies. Attackers see the high tech industry as a valuable target because they know that companies in this industry are often willing to pay large ransoms to recover from cyberattacks.
The report also found that the most popular attack technique used by attackers in Q2 2023 was traversal techniques. Traversal techniques allow attackers to move laterally within a network and gain access to sensitive data or systems. Other popular attack techniques included SQL injection and OS command injection.
Another key finding of the report is that attackers are increasingly using automated tools to launch large-scale attacks against a wide range of targets. This suggests that it is more important than ever for organizations to have a layered security approach in place.
The report concludes with a number of recommendations for how organizations can protect themselves from cyberattacks. These recommendations include:
- Implementing a layered security approach. This includes using firewalls, intrusion detection systems, and next-generation web application firewalls (NGWAFs) to protect against a wide range of attack vectors.
- Keeping all software up to date. This includes operating systems, applications, and security software. Attackers often exploit known vulnerabilities in software to gain access to systems.
- Educating employees about cybersecurity best practices. This includes creating strong passwords, being wary of phishing emails, and reporting suspicious activity.
In addition to the above recommendations, organizations should also consider the following:
- Conducting regular security assessments. This will help to identify and address any security vulnerabilities before they are exploited by attackers.
- Having a plan for responding to cyberattacks. This plan should include steps for containing the attack, investigating the incident, and recovering from the attack.
By following these recommendations, organizations or can reduce their risk of being successfully attacked by cyber attackers.